Looking for some answers?
This is the place to start.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Copyright Infringement

hi guys, hope someone can help. I have recently noticed that there are many, many campaigns on this website thats been stolen from me, I have reported around 50 so far but since a form is required for each copyright infringement its just to time consuming to address them all. To make matters worse I have received zero response from tee spring to any of the emails and forms I have send, absolutely nothin. Does this site actually care about stolen designs or are they just out to make money regardless of where the design has come from? not a very good business model, and very frustrating for artists who's designs are being featured illegally on this site. Hope someone can help

Comments

• Hey @cabinsupplyco_2015, we request the information in the form because it is required in order for our IP team to determine how to handle each case. These cases must be reviewed individually so this is why turnaround time normally takes several days (we receive hundreds of reports a week). On another note, please keep in mind Teespring is one of the only POD platforms that actively works with sellers to remove copycat campaigns. Feel free to reach out to me via e-mail >> [email protected] if you need my further assistance to investigate those copycats campaigns insights.
  • Teespring also gives you the option to write your own DMCA take down notice so in that way you can list many infractions instead of having to take your precious time to file numerous forms which can be quite a tedious process since this issue is becoming so rampant. This will save the team time since all of the url's are listed together. Let me know if you would like a copy of the template.
  • @Millicent Peters I would love a copy of it if possible.

Thanks
  • CEASE AND DESIST DEMAND LETTER – COPY INFRINGEMENT

Pursuant to Title 17 of the United States Code

Dated: _______________________

To: ABC Inc., aka: ABC.com (company name), et al.

Re: Intellectual Property Copyright and Listing Infringement of SELLER (s):

This letter is official notification under the provisions of Section 512(c) of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (“DMCA”) to effect removal of the infringements reported below. Please address any correspondence to:

NAME:

ADDRESS:

PHONE:

EMAIL:

I request that you immediately issue a cancellation notice as specified in RFC 1036 for the specified postings to prevent the infringer, identified below, from posting and selling the infringing material through your service, now and in the future. Please be advised that law requires (ABC, Inc., COMPANY NAME) as a registered service provider, to “expeditiously remove or disable access to” the infringing material upon receiving this notice. Noncompliance may result in a loss of immunity for liability under the DMCA. The infringing store selling copies of the work for which I hold a copyright is:

Violating  Shop Seller Name (s): ___________________________

LIST OF URL(S) OF COPYRIGHT INFRINGMENT:

TITLE:

INFRINGER’S SHOP NAME:

URL:

Below, please find below the link(s) to my original work(s) at.

(Where my work is listed at):

Name of web site:

URL:

**All are copyrighted works originally designed by me and are listed as follows on the under United States copyright law, ____________________ (YOUR NAME) copyrights have been in effect since the date my artwork was created.  All copyrightable aspects of the above art work are copyrighted and protected under United States copyright law and are listed as such on the last page of this notification.

I have a good faith belief that use of the material listed above and displayed on your website in the manner complained of is not authorized by me, my agents, or the law for the following copyright infringing seller(s): _____________________  (infringer’s name/shop name) to use for resale, etc.

Under penalty of perjury, I affirm that I am the complaining party and/or I am authorized to act on behalf of the owner of the exclusive rights in the work described above and that this statement is true and accurate to the best of my knowledge. I have a good faith belief that the content(s) described above violate(s) my rights described above or those held by the rights owner, and that the use of such content(s) is contrary to law.

NOTE: __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I declare, under penalty of perjury, that the information contained in this notification is correct and accurate and that I am the owner or agent of the owner of the rights described above.

Sincerely,

Name:

Your Shop/Business Name:

Your Title (owner, sole proprietor ect…)______________________________

Acting in Properia Persona (representing yourself)

**Please accept the above type name as my authorized electronic signature.

** Email to their legal department. I had several designs stolen and it is cumbersome to fill out separate complaint forms for each infraction.

Email to: [email protected]

If no action then: [email protected]

Here’s some additional information:

Criminal Copyright Infringement:  Copyright infringement is a felony punishable

by up to three years’ imprisonment and a $250,000 fine under 17 U.S.C. § 506(a)

and 18 U.S.C. § 2319 where a defendant willfully reproduces or distributes at

least ten copies of one or more copyrighted works with a total retail value of

more than $2,500 within a 180‐day period. The maximum penalty rises to five

years’ imprisonment if the defendant also acted “for purposes of commercial

advantage or private financial gain.” Misdemeanor copyright infringement

occurs where the value exceeds $1,000 or where the defendant willfully violated

any of the exclusive rights “for purposes of commercial advantage or private

financial gain.”

Pre‐Release Criminal Copyright Infringement: Pre‐release piracy, i.e., willful

infringement “by the distribution of a work being prepared for commercial

distribution, by making it available on a computer network accessible to

members of the public, if such person knew or should have known that the work

was intended for commercial distribution,” is a felony punishable by up to three

years’ imprisonment and a $250,000 fine under 17 U.S.C. § 506(a)(1)(C) and 18

U.S.C. § 2319(d). The maximum penalty rises to five years’ imprisonment if the

defendant also acted “for purposes of commercial advantage or private financial

gain.”

You can also file here if the person is from another country or has failed to stop.

https://www.justice.gov/criminal-ccips/reporting-computer-internet-related-or-intellectual-property-crime

Department of Justice - US

REPORTING COMPUTER, INTERNET-RELATED, OR INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY CRIME

• Thanks, I appreciate it.
  • Wow, Millicent. I wish I had seen comments like yours from when Teespring took over 2 months to remove my work and didn't respond to a single e-mail I sent. Thanks for looking out for other artists and posting such useful info <3

My stolen art is back up again, but it's not going to be like the last time. 
  • I would think 48 hours is sufficient but it's already been 72 hours with my case and nothing. I think if this wont get resolved in the next day then I will tweet the owner of teespring and go on Facebook and ask them what takes so long.
  • @cool_digs @Millicent Peters still chipping away at these copyright infringements. I have emailed around 60 links to stolen designs appearing on this site and had about 20 maybe taken down (I have given up on the forms) its a slow, slow process! no idea why they can't just take them down within 24hours. All other reputable companies take down copyright infringements within this time. Im going to keep emailing until they are all down, its beyond out of control
  • Kate ShoafKate Shoaf Teespring Team
    edited November 2017
    @JeffDahmerHumanNommr @cabinsupplyco_2015 @cool_digs ; @Angry_Artist - We are actively exploring new features that will help prevent IP violations in the future. Just last week we significantly reduced the daily launch limit to crack down on spam accounts/copycats. Not only do we have a team dedicated to protecting IP, we also have existing features set up to prevent this content from being launched on the site. We disable hundreds of violating accounts each day. Keep in mind there are thousands and thousands of campaigns launched every day, especially during the holidays, so turnaround times may be affected. Please continue filing reports and our team will review them.

File a claim: https://community.teespring.com/answers/filing-an-intellectual-property-claim/
    IP department: [email protected]
    Keep in mind your claim, including the personal contact information you provide, will be forwarded directly to the alleged infringer.

You can learn more about our IP policy here: https://teespring.com/policies/terms

Your Right to Conduct a Campaign: By creating a campaign through the Teespring Service, you represent and warrant that you own or are the licensee of all trademark rights, copyrights, rights of publicity and other intellectual property or other proprietary rights necessary to create and conduct the campaign (“Campaign Rights”), including any rights relating to the name, description, images, text or URL used for the campaign. You will provide Teespring with evidence of your Campaign Rights upon request.

Teespring does not claim any ownership rights in the content you upload to the Teespring Service. Please be sure you maintain copies of all of your work. Teespring has no responsibility or liability for the deletion or failure to store any content or information uploaded to the Teespring Service.

• @cabinsupplyco_2015 just use the template that Milcent Peters posted here and you can cram all the infringes in one email. You can also find templates on google, I can't even imagine filling out so many forms.

I only have problems with few designs that sell well, they get copied everywhere, spreadshirt, redbubble, sunfrog, shopify stores and few more.

You just have to keep going if you want to protect your hard work.

Thank you @Kate Shoaf for working hard to help us.

Jerry
  • I came up with a badge to post on descriptions and you can add a warning such as this. Anyone can use this badge as you got my permission to do so and share with others. It's up to the artist to protect their hard work! : 
    Original Design By: _____________________________
    100% SECURED 24 HR MONITORED IMAGE
    WARNING:
    DISPLAYED DESIGN/IMAGE IS FEDERALLY PROTECTED AND DIGITALLY MONITORED FOR IP INFRINGEMENT AGAINST THEFT, FRAUD & ILLEGAL INTERNET RESELL OR USE/DISTRIBUTION.
    ALL IP THEFT WILL BE PROMPTLY REPORTED TO YOUR HOSTING PROVIDER. DMCA TAKE DOWN NOTICE WILL BE REMITTED WITHOUT NOTICE. IP PIRACY WILL BE PROMPTLY REPORTED TO FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION INTERNET CRIMINAL COMPLAINT CENTER AKA: (IC3) https://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx. Criminal IP Copyright Infringement is a felony punishable by up to three years’ imprisonment and a $250,000 fine under 17 U.S.C. § 506(a)(1)(C) and 18 U.S.C. § 2319(d).

• Thanks Buddy, I will add this to my designs!!
  • Here's a smaller one to use and a different one. 
    So you don't have to resize it.
    FREE TO USE AND DISPLAY.....PLEASE SHARE WITH OTHER ARTISTS!
  • @Kate Shoaf I am unable to file my IP claims 99% of the time because "teespring.com unable to process my request" Do you turn off the submission button? This has been an ongoing problem for over a week!
  • @Kate Shoaf I am unable to file my IP claims 99% of the time because "teespring.com unable to process my request" Do you turn off the submission button? This has been an ongoing problem for over a week!
  • I find it is so important to be part of the solution. I understand your engineers are trying to come up with ways to stop copyright infringement on your site. TeePublic has came out with a new video discussing their efforts to impede theft on their site. This is so worth a watch to see what new aggressive techniques they are using in hopes of your company to implement the same: Please watch this!  and let us know what you think.

• The submission form still does not work! 
  • It works fine for me, maybe you are not filling it out completely and that is why or try different browser!

Jerry
  • Filled out correctly and completely. I will try a different browser 
    @Patti Massingale can you message me a screenshot of what you're seeing please? I'll send it to the IP team. 
  • @Kate Shoaf The copycats are waiting until Friday to launch a 3 day campaign so you won't have time to take it down during the weekend. I try and submit an IP claim and this is what I get:
    Kind of makes it hard to report anything when it doesn't work!!!
  • Patti just use the template and email it to [email protected]  At least you'll have proof that you did report the violating URLs and you can collect and report them all on one form.     

CEASE AND DESIST DEMAND LETTER – COPY INFRINGEMENT

Pursuant to Title 17 of the United States Code

Dated: _______________________

To: ABC Inc., aka: ABC.com (company name), et al.

Re: Intellectual Property Copyright and Listing Infringement of SELLER (s):

This letter is official notification under the provisions of Section 512(c) of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (“DMCA”) to effect removal of the infringements reported below. Please address any correspondence to:

NAME:

ADDRESS:

PHONE:

EMAIL:

I request that you immediately issue a cancellation notice as specified in RFC 1036 for the specified postings to prevent the infringer, identified below, from posting and selling the infringing material through your service, now and in the future. Please be advised that law requires (ABC, Inc., COMPANY NAME) as a registered service provider, to “expeditiously remove or disable access to” the infringing material upon receiving this notice. Noncompliance may result in a loss of immunity for liability under the DMCA. The infringing store selling copies of the work for which I hold a copyright is:

Violating  Shop Seller Name (s): ___________________________

LIST OF URL(S) OF COPYRIGHT INFRINGMENT:

TITLE:

INFRINGER’S SHOP NAME:

URL:

Below, please find below the link(s) to my original work(s) at.

(Where my work is listed at):

Name of web site:

URL:

**All are copyrighted works originally designed by me and are listed as follows on the under United States copyright law, ____________________ (YOUR NAME) copyrights have been in effect since the date my artwork was created.  All copyrightable aspects of the above art work are copyrighted and protected under United States copyright law and are listed as such on the last page of this notification.

I have a good faith belief that use of the material listed above and displayed on your website in the manner complained of is not authorized by me, my agents, or the law for the following copyright infringing seller(s): _____________________  (infringer’s name/shop name) to use for resale, etc.

Under penalty of perjury, I affirm that I am the complaining party and/or I am authorized to act on behalf of the owner of the exclusive rights in the work described above and that this statement is true and accurate to the best of my knowledge. I have a good faith belief that the content(s) described above violate(s) my rights described above or those held by the rights owner, and that the use of such content(s) is contrary to law.

NOTE: __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I declare, under penalty of perjury, that the information contained in this notification is correct and accurate and that I am the owner or agent of the owner of the rights described above.

Sincerely,

Name:

Your Shop/Business Name:

Your Title (owner, sole proprietor ect…)______________________________

Acting in Properia Persona (representing yourself)

**Please accept the above type name as my authorized electronic signature.

** Email to their legal department. I had several designs stolen and it is cumbersome to fill out separate complaint forms for each infraction.

Email to: [email protected]

If no action then: [email protected]

Here’s some additional information:

Criminal Copyright Infringement:  Copyright infringement is a felony punishable

by up to three years’ imprisonment and a $250,000 fine under 17 U.S.C. § 506(a)

and 18 U.S.C. § 2319 where a defendant willfully reproduces or distributes at

least ten copies of one or more copyrighted works with a total retail value of

more than $2,500 within a 180‐day period. The maximum penalty rises to five

years’ imprisonment if the defendant also acted “for purposes of commercial

advantage or private financial gain.” Misdemeanor copyright infringement

occurs where the value exceeds $1,000 or where the defendant willfully violated

any of the exclusive rights “for purposes of commercial advantage or private

financial gain.”

Pre‐Release Criminal Copyright Infringement: Pre‐release piracy, i.e., willful

infringement “by the distribution of a work being prepared for commercial

distribution, by making it available on a computer network accessible to

members of the public, if such person knew or should have known that the work

was intended for commercial distribution,” is a felony punishable by up to three

years’ imprisonment and a $250,000 fine under 17 U.S.C. § 506(a)(1)(C) and 18

U.S.C. § 2319(d). The maximum penalty rises to five years’ imprisonment if the

defendant also acted “for purposes of commercial advantage or private financial

gain.”

You can also file here if the person is from another country or has failed to stop.

https://www.justice.gov/criminal-ccips/reporting-computer-internet-related-or-intellectual-property-crime

Department of Justice - US

REPORTING COMPUTER, INTERNET-RELATED, OR INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY CRIME

edited December 2017
    @Patti Massingale @Millicent Peters - [email protected] usually responds within 24 - 48 business hours. I advise contacting them before legal. Patti I showed the screenshots to the team - they said if you're still unable to submit  the form please contact [email protected] directly. 

edited December 2017
    Hey @copycats - our team aims to resolve claims within 24 - 48 business hours. We are working on ensuring that everyone who files a claim receives a notice of the outcome. It's possible there's been a delay due to the recent influx of content on the site. 
  • @Kate Shoaf @Kim Assawawongkasem I've been waiting for about a week to hear back from someone at Teespring regarding an IP claim I made against a blatant "pixel for pixel" ripoff of my design.  I've sent emails and messages but all I hear are crickets.  This is beyond frustrating, and Teespring should take things like this more seriously.  I'm being generous by giving Teespring the benefit of the doubt by waiting to get a response to my email before I decide what my next move is, however my patience is in short supply and I have all the proof to back up my claims.  Please have someone take this seriously, and ask them to contact me via email reply soon.  You both have additional details about which design I'm filing against within your PMs.  Thank you.
  • @revel @Kate Shoaf @Kim Assawawongkasem the last I hear was this "HI Jack,

We are considering these sellers as theft for your intellectual property so you have to fill out our claim form.
    Sorry for inconveniences caused.

Regards,
    Kim "

I replied saying are you seriously asking me to fill out 123 forms! and its been tumble weed since, my designs are still up on their site making them illegally gained earnings and they continue to do nothing! the crappest t-shirt sites on the entire internet take down stolen designs within 48 hours so I guess this site must be even crapper than the worst, what a sad shameful way to run a business, their mothers must be super proud
  • Nothing yet as of this date. Seems like you were right after all and it's the age old stall tactic. I read this on a Reddit Blog under Teespring Boosted Network: "Possible that TS rep got laid off, TS was at the brink of bankruptcy just two months ago. They couldn't pay their rent and their valuation went down from 650 m to something ridiculous like 15 million??"... With all of this confusion about this company with payouts, rampant design piracy issues that don't get resolved in a timely manner and now charging ridiculous fees to the designers (so they can recoup from their own financial downfall) I think it's time to pull out and go somewhere else.  My gut feeling is usually right so I'm bidding adieu to you guys. If you need to contact me you are more than welcome to via Facebook.  Good Luck! You are going to obviously need it!
  • I wouldn't have anything to do with these people @Millicent Peters I have never had my work legally on this site and never would. just came across this article from October, this company is vile, how can anyone be happy with their life selling stolen content aswell as promoting rape culture! you guys really make me sick, legal action is require to close down this so called business @Kate Shoaf @Kim Assawawongkasem http://metro.co.uk/2017/10/19/teespring-is-now-selling-eat-sleep-rape-repeat-and-other-pro-rape-t-shirts-7011926/

I wanted to share an update on some of the ways our team has been working to address the community's concerns and ensure content quality. Our team responded to an influx of spammers and other bad actors on site by quickly developing and launching new captcha barriers and setting new launch limits. These actions have effectively stopped these accounts from continuing to launch scripted content; significantly reducing the creation of problematic content by over 90%.

Currently, our IP team is developing a comprehensive plan for implementation in 2018 which will include optimizing the claim process, offering more protection to Teespring sellers, as well as investing in more sophisticated detection software for campaign creation.

Our goal is to improve current processes and implement new features in 2018 that will help protect your original, unique designs and ensure the quality of content on Teespring and its networks. 

• cabinsupplyco_2015 instead of blaming teespring, you should blame those who did those campaings.

if you see something like that, report it, instead of bitching about it.