Looking for some answers?
This is the place to start.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

W-8BEN needed for UK seller?

Hi all,

I've been using Teespring for a while, but never requested payment before, so pardon me if this is a dumb question!

Given that I'm based in the UK but sell shirts in the US, do I need to provide Teespring with a W-8BEN form before requesting payment? I know that's needed with at least some other US-based services, but I haven't seen any mention of it on Teespring's site and I'd rather make sure before I potentially lose 30% of my earnings!

Any information greatly appreciated!

Best Answer

Answers

• @Drax
    No worries - you're more than welcome to send over all your questions!

In the US, you are required by law to file a Form 1099 if you receive more than $600 in profits from Teespring. Sellers with multiple accounts will need to update their account information on all of their accounts as we will be merging their payout amount into one 1099 form. Only INDIVIDUALS will receive a Form 1099 from Teespring. All other types (Corporations, partnerships, LLCs, and international entities etc.) are responsible for reporting taxes themselves by consulting a tax accountant.

You can read more info here: 
    https://community.teespring.com/answers/prepare-for-tax-season/
  • Thanks for that info!

So, if I understand that link correctly, I don't need to provide any information before requesting payment, such as certifying that I'm not a US citizen etc? That simplifies things a little :)
  • Payouts are done via PayPal or Payoneer. You can learn more about payouts in our community center here: https://community.teespring.com/answers/seller-payouts/
  • Many thanks for you help with this - much appreciated!
  • You're very welcome! 
  • Hi again,
    I think I've followed all the steps in the link you posted - checked with PayPal to confirm that my account is verified etc., and have attempted to request payment. I've selected "I am not a US citizen" from the drop down, filled in my name, UK Tax ID (I assume that's required in place of Social Security Number?) and address.

However, when I click continue to payout, the form flags an error with my UK postcode - Zip is invalid!

Am I overlooking something really obvious?
  • Thanks again - problem solved :)
  • Happy to hear you're all set :)